2 Day External Review - October 3rd & 4th
The Headteacher commissioned a 2 day external review on October 3rd & 4th.
The team of 5 observed 13 subject lessons and learning walks reviewed a further 37 lessons. 5 Form times, 2 Assemblies and 2 Acts of collective worship were also visited. Here are some extracts from the report:
"5 A*-C EM grades have been consistently above the national average for the last 3 years. A level attainment is strong with 100% pass rate and 61%% of all grades at A*-B. The ALPs score reflects ‘Outstanding’ value-added for students."
"Subject knowledge of staff was excellent."
"Behaviour for Learning was strong."
"The security of the site, including access to visitors, is taken seriously."
"Students say they feel safe in school."
"Students are proud of their school and feel a sense of belonging."
"Compliance with school uniform requirements is excellent. Older students are very focused on their examination performance and see the school as providing them with good additional support in this regard."
"Many departments offer a range of other activities including debating, STEM, chess, and subject specific enrichment."
"The numbers of students who have served fixed term exclusions and more than one fixed term exclusion are low compared to the national average and to similar schools in the area."
"Parent representatives are positive about the school, its reputation and the way the school had dealt efficiently with any concerns."
"Students are very clear that physical bullying is very rare at the school and that when it occurs it is dealt with firmly and swiftly."
"The School's Self Evaluation Form demonstrates that the current leadership have a firm grip on the areas of the school where development is required."
Official Opening of The Sir David Lane Building - Thank you
Thank you to all those who were involved in the official opening of The Sir David Lane Building on Friday 30th September.
Students received presentations from special guests Mark Graham, Paul Mackenzie and Professor Sir David Lane himself. Sir David Lane spoke passionately about the school and encouraged those who study and work at John Fisher to "light fires and lead change".
Our choir performed beautifully singing 'The Cantique de Jean Racine' following on from the school's European Week of Languages activities. Bishop Paul Hendricks, representatives from Sutton LA, the Southwark Diocese, Tom Brake MP, the Mayor of Croydon, the Mayor of Sutton, governors, staff, parents/carers and students all thoroughly enjoyed the evening.
83% GCSE 5 A*-C including English and Maths at The John Fisher School
Following on from last week's 'Outstanding' (ALPs August 2016) A-level results we are delighted to report further student success this week with our GCSE results.
The John Fisher School achieved 83% 5A*-C including English & Maths. 83% represents a 10% increase on the school's first entry results of 73% in 2015. 24% of the school's GCSE grades this year were an A*-A grade. 91% of students secured an A*-C grade in Maths and 95% of students gained an A*-C grade either in English Language or English Literature.
3 levels of progress (Expected) in English: 91% - an increase of 4% on 2015 4 levels of progress (Above Expected) in English: 49% - an increase of 11% on 2015
3 levels of progress (Expected) in Maths: 89% - an increase of 4% on 2015 4 levels of progress (Above Expected) in Maths: 53% - an increase of 8% on 2015
100% of all students in Chemistry, Biology and Physics secured A*-C grades. 71% of all Chemistry grades were A*-A, and over half of all the grades in Biology (56%) and Physics (54%) were A*-A grades.
2016 GCSE Results
73% A* - C in History 74% A* - C in R.E 75% A*-C Geography
75% A* - C in Drama 84% A* - C in English Literature 89% A*-C in English Language
85% A* - C in Business Studies 90% A*-C in Economics
87% A* - C in Art 88% A* - C in Sport 100% A*-C in Music
90% A* - C in French 91% A* - C in Maths 95% A*-C in Media
100% A* - C in Biology 100% A* - C in Chemistry 100% A* - C in Physics
School receives 'Outstanding' ALPs judgement
A-level results for the 'Class of 2016' are record breaking for The John Fisher School. The percentage of A*-A grades at A-level has improved to 26%.The school's percentage of A*-B grades at A-level also improved on last year's outcomes increasing from 50% to 61% in 2016 (National Average: 52%) and John Fisher received an 'outstanding' ALPs judgement.
Some of the key results are:
A*-A grades at A-level with BTEC equivalents was 46% which is a 9% increase on 2015. A*-B grades with BTEC equivalents was 68% which is a 13% increase in 1 year.
The school secured an amazing 84% A*-C grades at A-level and 88% including BTEC equivalents.
Over 70% of all the A-level grades awarded in Art & Design (85.7%), Biology (76.9%), Chemistry (75%), Economics (75%), Geography (100%), History (73.3%), and Mathematics (75%) were A*-B grades.
The John Fisher School Sixth Form Open Evening takes place on Thursday 3rd November.
Information about The John Fisher School
- Oversubscribed (150 more students joining Yr 7 (2016-2020). There will be 1200 students on roll in 2020.
- Ofsted 'Outstanding' Sixth Form. A-level results judged 'Outstanding' (ALPs - August 2016).
- 'Outstanding' Section 48 Inspection report (for Schools with a Religious character).
- Weekly Collective Worship in The Chapel and there is a morning mass which students can attend each day. There is a faith club for students and a reflection group for staff members.
- 91% A*-C in GCSE Maths & 95% A*-C in GCSE English in 2016. 83% GCSE 5 A*-C including English & Maths.
- English Department awarded the 'Prince's Teaching Institute 2016 Mark' and one of our English teacher's has been selected to carry out educational research in Cuba..
- Over 1/2 of all grades in GSCE Physics & GCSE Biology were A*-A grades and 71% of all grades in GCSE Chemistry A*-A grades in 2016.
- Specialist Leader responsible for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) recruited for 2016/7 along with a specialist in Computing and a Literacy specialist.
- A level results (2016) A*-A: 26%, A*-B: 61%, A*-C: 84%, A*-E: 100%. A-level with BTEC equivalents (2016) A*-A: 46%, A*-B: 65%, A*-C: 88% and A*-E: 100%.
- A Level courses judged 'Excellent'/'Outstanding' (ALPs August 2016): English Language & Literature, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, History, Art, Extended Project Qualification (EPQ), Business Studies, Economics, Geography, Design Technology, Sport & Exercise Sciences.
- SSAT Double Award Winners for Exceptional student progress and attainment 2015.
- Pupil Premium Award Winners 2016.
- Broad curriculum offer, a 3yr Key Stage 4 programme and an extensive extended schools programme to include Duke of Edinburgh Award, debating and Shakespeare Schools Festival.
- Specialist Leader in Education (SLE) leads the Modern Foreign Languages department to include Mandarin, Portuguese and Italian.
- Award Winning Choir (Sutton & Cheam Festival 2015) & lessons available in violin, viola, cello, flute, clarinet, saxophone, a variety of brass, drums, guitar, piano and keyboard.
- Runners Up in National Rugby Sevens 2015 & Sutton LA Athletics champions 2015 & 2016.
- We are in the top 100 schools for Cricket in the country (The Cricketer) and named in 'The Playing Fields of England: An A-Z Guide to the Summer Game's Top 100 Schools'.
- We are in the top 10 schools nationally for cross country and one of our Sixth Form student's is currently representing England.
- New £2.8 million building opened in September 2016 (New Science laboratories, 10 new classrooms and innovative learning spaces).
- Phenomenal pastoral support & a student led 'Talk Easy Trust' mental health support available for all year groups.
- Involved in leading Sutton's newly qualified teacher programme and work in partnership with King's College London.
- Overseas residential experiences to Austria, Spain, Belgium, France, S Africa, USA and New Zealand.
- Exceptionally strong ethos of inclusive aspiration, strong community identity and sense of 'family'.
Please feel free to contact our Admissions Officer (email@example.com) if you have any questions/queries regarding how to apply for a place at our excellent school.
It is a privilege to be the Headteacher of the John Fisher School which is no ordinary school. John Fisher is one of the leading Catholic boys' schools in England. I am proud to work alongside established colleagues and am excited about working with a number of newly appointed staff with a proven track record who will be joining us in September 2016.
We pride ourselves on offering an excellent educational experience for all our students. Our students will always be our priority, instilling aspiration and meeting their needs comes first. The John Fisher School has a tradition of academic success, cultural and sporting excellence combined with phenomenal pastoral care, guidance and support. The John Fisher School opened in 1929 and whilst we embrace it's past we continue to redefine our horizons. We continously aim to be a great school because we understand that great schools change lives.
We are a values-led institution. Our Christian and shared values underpin an inclusive ethos where faith is taken seriously. There is a culture of high standards for everyone who learns and works in our school. We are not interested in low expectations, fixed mind-sets, or making excuses. We are interested in unlocking the God-given potential of every individual within a caring and supportive learning environment. John Fisher is often described as "more than a school" but rather a hub in the community. It is the strength of the relationships and the goodness of the people attached to our school which makes us stand out. Our students fully understand the importance of representing The John Fisher School with pride and distinction.
I hope that this website gives you a flavour of our school and the distinguished reputation it has as a beacon of Catholic education for boys.
Mr P E McCullagh
The John Fisher School: SSAT Double Award Winners 2015 & Pupil Premium Award Winners 2016