Record breaking A-level results for the 'Class of 2016' at The John Fisher School 18.08.16
A-level results for the 'Class of 2016' are record breaking for The John Fisher School. The percentage of A*-A grades has improved with over one quarter of the A-level results being awarded the top grades, The school's percentage of A*-B grades also improved on last year's outcomes increasing from 50% to 57% in 2016. Headteacher, Mr McCullagh, stated "the accuracy of our teacher's predictions is particularly reassuring. We were quietly confident based on the effort which went in and seeing the smiles on the faces of all of our students and parents this morning certainly made it feel worthwhile. We were 4% above our A*-A A-level target which is fantastic and to smash our A*-B target by 13% considering we set ambitious targets is superb. I am extremely grateful for the commitment shown by the teaching staff and support staff members involved."
The percentage of The John Fisher School's combined A-level and BTEC A*-A grades improved by 9% and the percentage of A*-B grades improved by 10% in one year from 2015 outcomes. Over 70% of all the A-level grades awarded in Art, Biology, Chemistry, Economics, Geography, History, and Mathematics were A*-B grades. Mr McCullagh stated "one of the school's strengths is the consistency in the academic performance across all of our subject areas. Obviously, I am delighted with our significant improvements. I am very pleased with the percentage of A*-C grades in Psychology, Government & Politics, Media and Product Design. We are determined to maintain our breadth of curriculum offer at a time when minority subjects are no longer being offered in many Sixth Form institutions. The fact our results in these subject areas are strong confirms our reasons for continuing to teach them."
Behind these excellent results at The John Fisher School are individual successes and many of the students have gained a place at a Russell Group University. Academic success is one of the most important aspects of the school's mission. The John Fisher School has left its mark on the memories of a number of noteworthy graduates it ushered through its doors over the years and this year's Year 13 leavers become part of the school's illustrious alumni network which boasts scientists, historians, entrepreneurs and artists.
Despite the school's tremendous A-level results the Headteacher is mindful that success can breed complacency. Mr McCullagh said "that simply won't happen. There is still further work we can do with our tutors, parents and next year's Sixth Form students. We have employed a new Head of Psychology, a new Head of R.E and a specialist leader responsible for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) which are all exciting appointments. We are also opening a new £2.8 million building with new Science laboratories, 10 new classrooms and innovative learning spaces which will be great for future generations of John Fisher students. I would encourage prospective students to attend our Open Evening in the first term to find out more about our 'Outstanding' (Ofsted, October 2013) Sixth Form and why John Fisher could be the right school for them."
The John Fisher School Sixth Form Open Evening takes place on Thursday 3rd November.
Information about The John Fisher School
- Oversubscribed (150 more students joining Yr 7 (2016-2020). There will be 1200 students on roll in 2020.
- Ofsted 'Outstanding' Sixth Form.
- 'Outstanding' Section 48 Inspection report (for Schools with a Religious character).
- Weekly Collective Worship in The Chapel and there is a morning mass which students can attend each day.
- 90% A*-C in GCSE Maths & 91% A*-C in GCSE English in 2015.
- 1/2 of all grades in GSCE Physics & GCSE Chemistry were A*-A grades and 3/4 of all grades in GCSE Biology A*-A grades in 2015.
- Specialist Leader responsible for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) recruited for 2016/7 along with a specialist in Computing and a Literacy specialist.
- A level results (2016) A*-A: 26%, A*-B: 57%, A*-C: 83%, A*-E: 100%. A-level & BTEC combined results (2016) A*-A: 46%, A*-B: 65%, A*-C: 88% and A*-E: 100%.
- SSAT Double Award Winners for Exceptional student progress and attainment 2015.
- Pupil Premium Award Winners 2016.
- Broad curriculum offer, a 3yr Key Stage 4 programme and an extensive extended schools programme to include Duke of Edinburgh Award and Shakespeare Schools Festival.
- Specialist Leader in Education (SLE) leads the Modern Foreign Languages department to include Mandarin.
- Award Winning Choir (Sutton & Cheam Festival 2015) & lessons available in violin, viola, cello, flute, clarinet, saxophone, a variety of brass, drums, guitar, piano and keyboard.
- Runners Up in National Rugby Sevens 2015 & Sutton LA Athletics champions 2015 & 2016.
- New £2.8 million building opening in September 2016 (New Science laboratories, 10 new classrooms and innovative learning spaces).
- Phenomenal pastoral support & a student led 'Talk Easy Trust' mental health support available for all year groups.
- Involved in leading Sutton's newly qualified teacher programme and work in partnership with King's College London.
- Overseas residential experiences to Austria, Spain, Belgium, France, S Africa, USA and New Zealand.
- Strong community identity (The John Fisher School Association raised £14,500 at this year's fete in May) and sense of 'family'.
Please feel free to contact our Admissions Officer (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions/queries regarding how to apply for a place at our excellent school.
It is a privilege to be the Headteacher of the John Fisher School which is no ordinary school. John Fisher is one of the leading Catholic boys' schools in England. I am proud to work alongside established colleagues and am excited about working with a number of newly appointed staff with a proven track record who will be joining us in September 2016.
We pride ourselves on offering an excellent educational experience for all our students. Our students will always be our priority, instilling aspiration and meeting their needs comes first. The John Fisher School has a tradition of academic success, cultural and sporting excellence combined with phenomenal pastoral care, guidance and support. The John Fisher School opened in 1929 and whilst we embrace it's past we continue to redefine our horizons. We continously aim to be a great school because we understand that great schools change lives.
We are a values-led institution. Our Christian and shared values underpin an inclusive ethos where faith is taken seriously. There is a culture of high standards for everyone who learns and works in our school. We are not interested in low expectations, fixed mind-sets, or making excuses. We are interested in unlocking the God-given potential of every individual within a caring and supportive learning environment. John Fisher is often described as "more than a school" but rather a hub in the community. It is the strength of the relationships and the goodness of the people attached to our school which makes us stand out. Our students fully understand the importance of representing The John Fisher School with pride and distinction.
I hope that this website gives you a flavour of our school and the distinguished reputation it has as a beacon of Catholic education for boys.
Mr P E McCullagh
The John Fisher School: SSAT Double Award Winners 2015 & Pupil Premium Award Winners 2016